Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's Nicaragua!

After spending nine months submitting a multitude of letters of recommendation, university transcripts, and medical forms, I finally received the invitation to serve in the Peace Corps starting this September. After a two day staging event in Miami at the end of August when I will be given the necessary inoculations, country information, and an introduction to my fellow volunteers, I will be off on a 27 month adventure to Nicaragua. I'm looking forward to year-round Florida summertime heat with no air conditioning. It just be just like when I was growing up in Tallahassee! After eleven weeks of training, I should be in a small village or town somewhere helping a local teacher with his English class as well as giving private English lessons in the community. In addition, I will probably be training other local teachers in innovative ways to teach English to high school students. Hopefully, I will be able to effectively use all of the skills I have been acquiring during the past 30 years in a completely new environment. Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment